Wednesday 31 July 2013

Rope Routine #2



I really don't know where to start with this one. The main starting point was the Equal Unequal Rope routine, aka Professor's Nightmare. I hate that trick. Not because it isn't great, but because it's over exposed. And tons of magicians are doing it wrong. But enough of that.

I was thinking, maybe that could be done some stuff before going into the streching part. So two ropes, strech first, then the middles of the ropes link. Then the two rings of rope link and unlink, then a knot moves, then the rope is cut in two, twice. And then finally we get into the main streching part. But then as a bonus the whole ropes fuse into one. That's how you make a routine instead of just a trick.

So let's go into the technical aspects. The first streching is a version of what I have seen years ago by Dutch magician Flip Hallema. On the DVD: "Flip's Truly Magical Rope Magic" you will find this. The linking of the middles is actually inspired by Dean Dill's box routine. Just insprired, the method is quite different. The two rings of ropes linking and unlinking is of course inspired by Pavel, the great magician from Czechoslovakia.

The jumping of the sliding knot actually came from watching Francis Tabary work. He is a great source of inspiration and a wonderful human being. The cutting sequence is also his. And I love it.

The last bit of the ropes fusing into one and the knots falling of is taken from the Daryl DVD's on rope magic. I cannot find my DVD's so I guess I have to add the credits that Daryl gives a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment